Stranger
I was out at the movies with the new cost analyst from work Friday night. As I was waiting for the cashier to give me my kosher hot dog & cherry icee (Aunt Flo was visiting & had a craving), I noticed that she (the cashier) had a band-aid on her finger. A voice in my head (you know, the curious one) said, "How'd you get that cut on your finger?" So I asked her, "How'd you get that cut on your finger?" She proceeded to tell me that she also worked at Bed, Bath, & Beyond, & had cut herself opening a box earlier in the day. The cost accountant then says to me, "You just strike up conversations with folks, don't you?" My reply? "Yes."
In Related News: Recently, there was a news story about a young boy scout who was missing for 4 days in Utah. When he was finally found alive and had had a chance to talk with his parents, his mother said he'd been "hiding" from the search party. His parents had taught him two critical things to do if he ever got lost while scouting: stay on the trail & don't talk to strangers. Unfortunately, this young boy did both. When no one was around, he sat on the trail. When people on horses came, he hid so he wouldn't have to talk to strangers. When asked why he hid from the people on horses, he said he didn't know if they were "scary people".
I don't believe in "strangers" in the traditional sense of the word. In fact, I think this young boy has it right. I don't talk to "scary people". I listen to the Holy Spirit when it comes to who to talk to & who not to talk to, which can include people I know (i.e. Carlos). To me, a stranger is a friend or acquaintance I haven't met yet.
Final Notes: I was talking to the plant manager yesterday about his impending trip to Boston. I mentioned that the duck tour was something that was recommended by an acquaintance that showed me around while I was there several years ago. He remarked, "You know someone everywhere, don't you?" That happens to be very true.
Today, I sent an email to about a half-dozen folks I know throughout the company, asking them to welcome and assist my ex-boyfriend who just started working at corporate a few weeks ago. He wrote me back, thanking me for being the "human icebreaker". Stranger comments have been said about me, but I think it fits.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home