I've Got The Power
I was pacing through my living room, listening to my Kenya Various Dance Music cd when I noticed the ceiling fan moving. I thought it might be moving because I had the front and back doors open to take advantage of the last breezes of Rita to air out my house. Then I looked at the microwave, and the cable box, and the vcr, and the fan started moving faster and faster..."POWER!!!" (awwwwww, like the sound of God walking on earth..."Let there be power!"). I was prepared for God only knows how long without power given the patch job that we had post Katrina, but by His grace, I don't even know how long it was out.
I paused my cd player because I heard an annoying noise..."Beep! Beep! Beep!" My damn oven was beeping again. The same one I'd silenced months ago was beeping because power had been restored (the one I haven't used since I injured my shoulder a year and a half ago!). That same damn oven that reminds me of all the jackasses I've met in my life! The same one I need to replace...it was beeping because something good happened. Typical. Just like a jackass! Thankfully, I know what to do...hold the off button down for ten seconds.
As I was walking to the stove, ironically I noticed an Entergy (our local power company) business card on my kitchen counter. I'd pulled it out of my mailbox when I collected the mail. It's from that other jackass, the married one I'd encountered a few years ago at the gym (he's a stalker who lives a couple of blocks over from me who started riding by my house a month ago...the one who scared the crap out of me a few years ago when he told me he Googled my name & abused his position as an Entergy employee to find out what apartment I lived in & showed up uninvited a few days later...SCARY!!!). I thought about that jackass and thanked God that I know what to do with his card, "I'm thinking, trash!" By God's grace I've learned something about men & ovens over the years...if they're beeping & annoying, get rid of them. Now that I have the knowledge, I have the power to do what's right. Thank God! I'm not as retarded as I thought I was!

1 Comments:
This may interest you...
SAN FRAN MUSEUM LOOKING FOR
STORIES TO TELL: Project seeks to archive
first voice narratives about people of African
descent.
*In Africa it is said that when a griot, or
oral historian, dies, "a library has burned to
the ground." In recognition of the fabled
tradition of the griot and in an effort to
document stories of the African Diaspora,
San Francisco's Museum of the African
Diaspora (MoAD) has embarked on a
landmark project.
I've Known Rivers: The MoAD Story
Project is an unprecedented effort by an
international museum to collect, publish,
and archive "first voice" narratives about
people of African descent. MoAD has
issued a global Call for Stories in an effort
to collect, publish and archive authentic
stories from throughout the African Diaspora.
Stories should be submitted in the form
of first-person essay, short fiction, and poem
by published and unpublished writers as
well as authentic voices from across the
African Diaspora. Additionally, the stories
must be related to MoAD's four founding
themes: origin, movement, adaptation, and
transformation. Stories should be submitted
no later than November 1, 2005.
In light of the recent devastation caused
by Hurricane Katrina and its effect on the
lives of thousands of African Americans,
this project's story-collecting mission takes
on an even greater significance.
For submission guidelines and to learn
how you can write yourself into history,
please visit http://www.iveknownrivers.org/
Post a Comment
<< Home