Saturday, December 31, 2005

Foggy Day? Just Give!

I just gave away $1000! It feels SO GOOD to have donated the money, I don't know what to do with myself! I don't normally talk about my charitable contributions (money or time). I like to do it in secret because Jesus said that when you give and talk about it hoping for people to see you as a giver, it takes away from the spirit of giving in the first place. So a little disclaimer...I'm not writing about it here because I want people to think of me as a giver and laud my charitability. I'm writing about it because I'm high from having done something I've never done before...kind of like the day I went skydiving for the first (and last) time! It was an exhilerating experience! I was scared and happy and nervous and on top of the world, all at the same time, but thankfully I have video of the event (the skydiving) so I never have to do it again!

I gave away $1000 when I woke up this morning. It's been on my mind for a while, but I prayed about it while staring out into the foggy early morning light while sitting on my park bench on my back patio. I thought of how beautiful it is today and was thankful that I didn't bother to ask Ify to straighten my hair last night after I finished taking her braids out (the humidity would have just sent my hair right back to it's natural state). I thought about the last year (who doesn't on New Year's Eve!) and how I've come through it with many highs and lows. I thought of the myriad of folks who've lost everything, and how I spent about $100 on that park bench. I'd wanted one all my life, to sit on in my back yard and just enjoy God's work, and I thought about how that money could have gone to good use for someone who was hungry (remembering what my father said yesterday about growing up and never having enough to eat). So I prayed about it, got off my @$$, picked up the phone, and transferred the money. I didn't worry about whether it will be used appropriately (although I've been watching this organization for quite a while, and having been on a non-profit board before, I know the money can be siphoned for other things) I just gave. I trust in God that it will go to where it needs to go, and hopefully it will touch someone who needs it, so they can enjoy the simplicity of the beauty of God in the fogginess that is life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home