Friday, January 20, 2006

Man, I Feel Like A Woman!

I was on the phone with my girlfriend Serene when Carlos' number popped up on the caller ID. I started to answer, thinking it might be about work, but decided not to. "That's what voicemail is for!" I said to Serena and continued the conversation. When I called him back, he said he'd called to ask me if I was going out tonight. I told him I've reached my social menapause and am more than happy to stay home on a Friday night. I shared that while Shorty was gone, I had 18 months to go out and now that I know what's out there I'm ready to grow up and stay home like an adult. He said adults go out too. I agreed and said I'm just not interested in going out and being hit on by FEMA guys who think blue roofs are sexy. He continued trying to convince me, but I stood my ground and told him to go, have fun, and be safe.

It felt good to not crumble under his attempt at influencing me. In the past I would've rushed to find a sitter and meet him in some bar on Frenchman St., but now that I know that my needs are not his needs, and my value doesn't come from doing what he wants me to do, I'm feeling much more like a woman than a teenage girl.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home