Bag Lady
I spent a better part of today e-cleaning. I went through my Outlook mailbox and cleaned out many of my messages so my account could be moved without incident next week while I'm closing on the condo. I also went through our group files and tied up loose ends so the crabs I work with have little to no reason to suck me back in after I'm gone. While in the midst of all this, my co-worker Al kept interrupting me. At one point mid-morning, he called me out of my office and threw a frisbee down the hall at me . It frustrated me so much that I closed my door and locked it thinking, "Here I am trying to be a professional and make sure everything's taken care of before I leave, and he's playing around!" Al has a retirement countdown clock on his desk...192 days and counting.
When I got home late this evening, I started cleaning out my home office closet. It amazed me how many empty boxes & bags I have. I started thinking (like that's new for me), "Why do I have so many empty boxes & bags at home when I keep so much e-information at work?" That's when I realized that I'm a bag lady. When it comes to home, I've kept empty boxes and bags in anticipation of moving (read, growing). At the same time, I've kept so much e-information at work as a sign of my distraction from the emptiness I feel in my personal life.
In this move to IA, I want my personal life fill up and my work life to clear out in the process. I don't want to be an unbalanced bag lady with my soul empty and my professional life filled with all of my sins of the past. Somehow, in my time here in LA, I've let the two mix...maybe that's because I wasn't an adult woman when I moved here in the first place. Only children bring their personal lives to work.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home