Wednesday, June 21, 2006

The Four Stages of Moving

I love VH1's show Best Week Ever! I particularly enjoy the occassional segment titled, "The Four Stages of {insert silliness here}", where the comics parody something for the week with the four stages a viewer goes through after having been subjected to hearing about the subject, and usually ends with acceptance. They apply such a serious concept of the stages of grief/loss/etc. to something so silly, one has to laugh! So today, with my co-workers in mind, I've created my own "The Four Stages of" list.
  1. Shock! with comments like, "You're leaving us!?!", but on the inside, "Who are we going to dump the sh!t jobs on now?
  2. Anger...with comments like, "So you're abandoning us because of the hurricanes!", and I'm thinking, "No...I wanted to be gone 7 and 1/2 years ago."
  3. Depression...with comments like, "We're really going to miss you!", but on the inside, "Who's going to entertain us with funny stories told in a state of drunkenness and seasoned naivitee, followed with dancing on table tops?!"
  4. Acceptance...with comments like, well there are no comments! People just forget you're still here and treat you like an unperson.
I'm glad the announcement about my formal work going away party came out today, but somehow, I feel like I should've been gone 3 weeks ago. Ever since the move announcement came out, people have been asking me, "So are you happy about the move?" I usually reply, "Well, it's a good opportunity for my career, but more importantly, it'll be good for Shorty's education. I'm still in stage 1 of transition to a new place in my life: {insert varied mixed emotions here}. I just don't know how long it's going to take for me to get to acceptance.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home