Growing Up
I just had a very good conversation with my mother. It had been on my mind (the whole Kikuyu mafia thing) that my parents and the rest of the family are uncomfortable with me going to Norway and staying with the Norwegian without them really knowing anything about him. I told my mother that I love her and that I'm a grown woman walking on faith in God where this trip is concerned. She told me that she knows that I'm grown and does her best to stay out of those parts of my life where she doesn't belong. She also told me that it's not so much about whether we're going to be married or not (that's so more than 5 minutes from now), it's about safety. I told her that I don't feel that he has any intention of causing me any harm. I told her that if she could hear the way he talks, she'd know that. She told me that she wishes she could hear his voice. She said that if he would have the common courtesy to call them and talk with them for a few minutes and give them an address and phone number before I went, they would feel better. I agreed and said I would ask him to do that.
Towards the end of the conversation, I told her that this is what a grown up conversation between a parent and child sounded like. She agreed and said that maybe it was a sign that one of us has grown up. I said, "Maybe it's me." She said, "Maybe it's me." The fact that we both recognize we've changed is a sign of growing up. Praise be to God.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home