Are You Willing To Learn?
I just spent the last 5 hours getting ready for my "going back to natural party" scheduled for tomorrow. I've invited a diverse group of women from work (I just didn't think men would be interested...black or white) to learn a little bit about the hair issues that women of African descent in America are dealing with. It's funny...last night I told my best friend about this party where I'm cutting off the conk (see definition #3) and going back to natural, and she told me that she's been contemplating getting a relaxer (I think her natural hair is beautiful). I spent more money than I'd planned to buying fruit, wine, cheese, and crackers (no pun intended) to feed the folk I invited...but I feel as if it'll all be worth it if folks who didn't know (white, black, and asian) what a woman of diverse descent (which I am having African, Native American, and European blood) has to deal with when it comes to her hair and appearing to be acceptable in the U.S. today. Every penny I spent was worth it if this party (and the discussions that come from it) makes the world a little bit better than it was when I came into it.
DIVERSITY TRAINING: Either you don't know and know you don't know and don't want to know, or you don't know and know you don't know and want to know.
It's all about learning...are you willing to learn?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home