Bend It Like Beckham
I played soccer for the first time this morning. I've been needing to exercise to help quell my anxiety (years ago I was diagnosed with an anxiety disorder), and I thought it would be a good way to interact with some of my co-workers and try something new. I've always wanted to play soccer (I got a soccer ball for my birthday when I was ten), but my parents were never really into me getting into activities where they had to spend time hauling me here and there. I always managed to find a way to get involved anyway.
So I bought my gear, watched the team play last week, and this week I got in the game. I have absolutely NO knowledge of the game except the only person allowed to use their hands is the goalie (I'm not even sure I spelled that right). I played 75% of the time and got A LOT of coaching from my teammates. Was I any good? No, but I did take a shot right in the face when one of my teammates kicked the ball toward the goal and I was standing right in front of it when I turned around. Everyone was worried that I was hurt, but I'm not a big sissie girl so I shook it off and kept playing, even though I played badly.
I think my co-workers have had a good look at what I'm made of and I got a chance to try something I've always wanted to try. I'm going to finish the season and see if I still want to do it next year. I may spend this winter practicing kicking the ball instead of taking it in the face, and with any hope, one day I'll bend it like Beckham!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home