Technical Vs. Management
Yesterday I had a very serious converstation with my tech friend from work about my career. I was still complaining about not getting the promotion I was so sure I was up for and how at least three people asked why I didn't put in for the open position as supervisor of our plant Environmental Operations group. I told her that I'm just not interested in going into supervision because I don't want the headaches. She asked me what I really want to do long term. I told her that I'd like to be the Vice President of Global Environmental, Safety, & Health in 20 years. She said I'd have to go into management to do that, and there'd definitely be supervisory positions involved if I was ever going to be able to do that. I lamented and said that I don't think I'm cut out for supervision. She hit the nail on the head and said, "You need to make a decision soon on what career path you're going to take because the further along you get, that door to supervision will slowly close." I know she's right, and she was even more right when she said I shouldn't rule out management just because I'm scared of failing (which I am). I just don't know if I have what it takes to make it!
I came home and pondered the situation for a better part of the evening, and even considered calling Carlos (who was recently promoted AGAIN since going the management route) to ask him what it takes. I decided against the phone call and cleaned my bathroom and did laundry instead. I told myself, "You don't have to decide tonight", but I know I need to decide soon...very soon....because just like marriage, it becomes a lot harder to be successful the later you start in life.

1 Comments:
You have all that it takes to be in management. You are highly organized, you know how to delegate responsibilty, and you have developed people skills.
You do have to decide...as a "techie", you can do well, but I think you will hit the "glass ceiling" faster. But to get what you hope to achieve, you have to be bold enough to take risks - even if that means going the management route.
Hell, if Carlos can do it....(but please don't call him)
Post a Comment
<< Home