Content
Ify found a job in Shreveport (her first full-time position post-graduation) and she's leaving this weekend. To celebrate, Gloria wanted to throw her a get together. So two weeks ago, they were all standing in my office chatting about how exciting it is for Ify and that they wanted to celebrate. They thought they'd have a sleepover, but needed somewhere to do that. Then they all looked at me. I found it funny! I'm the only one with a house, and they looked at me is if they were ten year old girls. I said fine & had the "girls" over this evening.
They all came dressed for the club and spent a better part of the time after dinner taking pictures of themselves & each other in different poses. They really liked taking pictures in front of my fireplace with the roaring fire in the background. I enjoyed seeing them so young, vibrant, fresh, & unjaded (they're all 25). They tried to convince me to go out with them to the House of Blues, but I declined (I'm much happier to stay home these days) and made it an early night after they left.
Watching them, I saw what my girlfriends & I were like 5 years ago. Having had my time to be "young, single, & free" while Shorty was with his dad in CA, I'm happy to be done with it. The time I spent with my older girlfriends last weekend showed me what comes next (I think), and I'm excited about that next phase of love & marriage (if God wills it for me). The difference between what I saw when I was their age and what I see now is this waiting period. I didn't realize then that there'd be so many losers and experiences between what I want and what I have at the time. Back then, I was in such a hurry, hoping that every next man was "the one", not realizing that 99.44% of the next men were just preparing me to recognize "the one", or realize I'm not cut out for marriage. Either way, I know I'm getting older & I feel satisfied knowing that whether the next man is the one or not, I'm content to be alone.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home