Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Full Of Surprises

I got a visit in my office just before I left LA for the airport on Wednesday afternoon. A co-worker of mine (whom I trust) came to my office, closed my door and asked, "Are you moving to IA?" "Why do you ask?" I inquired. He then proceeded to tell me that he had it on good authority that I would be taking the job in IA. I asked how he knew and he proceeded to tell me that he'd overheard a conversation between my future boss and a local supervisor where the local supervisor said she'd heard I was up for the position. My future boss replied that she'd been told, "to give me special consideration". My co-worker thought that I should be moving straight to corporate and the only reason he thought I'd be taking the job in IA would be to prove my loyalty to the company. I just left it at opportunity to learn and try new things.

I left for the airport, a little nervous, very tired, and still unsure of whether I'm doing the right thing. When I arrived at MEM, I went to The Blue Note for a little dinner (nothing's open in that small IA town after 9 PM). Just as I was starting on my after dinner glass of wine, I felt someone leaning against my back looking over my shoulder. I turned to curse the f*cker out when I realized it was Jack (a colleague of mine). I'd met him a few years back (at a local LA bar) while he and his wife (another company employee) were living and working in town. They'd been transfered a while back, but he's still working at both sites and frequently travels between the two.

"What are you doing here?" Jack asked, "Are you maybe going up to interview for, I don't know, a position in environmental?"

"Yes, I'm going to interview," I dryly replied.

"Yeah, I thought that was you in NO, but you breezed right past me and the Dale Earnhardt backpack threw me off. I didn't know you were a racing fan." {I'm not.}

"Well Jack, what you don't know about me could just about fit into the Grand Canyon," I said, knowing this would scare Jack off (I've been told that although he's a genious, he has the social skills of an 8th grader). Sure enough, Jack said he was traveling with someone and scurried off to collect his travel partner.

When he returned, he proceeded to probe me for information as to why I'm considering the job. "Are you trying to get away?" he asked.

"It's a great opportunity to learn and do some new things," I guardedly said. Jack is aware that Carlos & I (as far as he knows) had a relationship back in 2004, but he doesn't know about anything since then. As far as he knows (from his wife) it's been over for a while. I'd spoken to her a year ago and told her it was over (when it was...until Katrina & the arrest).

I threw him off track by discussing business and then pointing out that our flight was boarding. As I waited to board, my future boss showed up. She was on her way back from GA & a network meeting there. We chatted politely for a while, and I went to sleep on the plane. She & I chatted again when we arrived in IL (there's no airport near the town in IA), and I made my way to the hotel. I was having a slight anxiety attack about all the odd things that'd happened, so I called my tech friend to get her input. She talked me off the ledge.

When I arrived at the hotel, I checked in and asked the desk clerk, "I saw the Super Wal*Mart next door. What time does it close?" to which the desk clerk replied, "Never."

Everyone thought I'd never again live in this town doing a job like this. I never thought I'd live near a Wal*Mart that was open 24 hours. Never say never, because life is full of surprises. This trip sure has been full of them

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home