Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Fix You

I woke up a little while ago after just a couple of hours of sleep (even though I'd started my day at 4 AM). Unable to go back to sleep, I decided to get up and be productive in hopes that unpacking and laundry would help me get my mind off all the things I need to do. As I was removing my things from my suitcase (thank GOD this is the last trip until Shorty & I move!), I pulled out my headset and found that the headphones were broken. This is the third set of headphones I've managed to break this calendar year! After I finished putting everything away and starting a load of laundry, I decided to try to fix the headphones. "I'll be damned if I buy another pair!" I thought to myself as I dug through my junk drawer, in search of my trusty bottle of superglue.

I tried to concentrate on the task at hand while thoughts of the impending changes in my life ran through my mind:

8 years. I've been in and out of this relationship with an emotionally unavailable man for 8 years and what do I have to show for it?

10 months. 10 months of being really close friends with B. and now we rarely speak to each other because of my relationship with the SJA.

1 weekend. 1 really long weekend with my now ex-husband, and I'm tied to him forever...for better or worse.

[I am the common thread in all of these broken relationships.]

Then I thought, "How long do you have to hold two things together with superglue before it sticks?"

It didn't work. After a good 10 minutes and a couple more dollops of superglue, the darn headphones just wouldn't stay together. I gave up and tossed them in the trash when I had the Epiphany of the Day: No matter how hard you try...no matter what earthly tools you use...some things just can't be fixed. And if you try too hard, you just end up with superglue on your fingers as evidence of your feeble human attempts.

Only God can fix me...now I just have to let Him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home