Decisions, Decisions
On April 13th, 2006, my biggest concern was what to pack for my trip to Paris (and relief that the French had stopped rioting). Now, here I am, 6 weeks, 6 cities (Paris, {new hometown in IA}, ATL {at the conference for my new job}, STL {on the howdy 'round for my career}, NO {putting my current home on the market}, & JAX {to attend my nephew's graduation & drop Shorty off w/ my parents so I can house hunt in IA) and I find myself with one huge decision in front of me: beautiful older home or cute new condo?
I was completely surprised at how much I love the older home (I had my heart set on something newer). Most of it's been refurbished, the layout is homey (it reminds me of the house I grew up in), and the view of the yard is amazing! The catch: it IS older, and the mortgage & utilities will be more than I'm paying now.
The condos are cute, but to me it's like owning an apartment (ick!). From what I understand, they're harder to sell (which doesn't help now that I know it takes ~6 months to sell a home here in IA). If I were to purchase one of the newer condos, my monthly payments would be significantly lower than what I'm paying now, which leaves a nice sum of money for disposable income (can you say "travel when it's cold & dreary"?).
On one hand, I don't think I'll be living in IA for long (2-3 years, tops), but on the other, there's no guarantee...so my inclination is to buy something that fits for the next 7 years (which is how long before Shorty graduates from high school). The income taxes in IA are extraordinarily higher than down south, but the sales tax is lower. Although, with my pay increase, it's a wash.
Well, it's time for me to stop procrastinating and make a decision. I'm going with my heart and will choose the place that feels like home, remembering that home is a soft place to fall...and not investment. I'll decide based on the place that feels right for what I want my life to be like as opposed to what it's been...you know, something close to hell.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home