When Left Is Right
This morning I got a call from an old friend. He called to tell me he's getting married in August! I'm thrilled for him to have finally met the one and told him I'll make every effort to be at his wedding. I caught him up on what's going on with me (including my upcoming move to IA). I shared with him that I had drinks last week with the man I should've married (who also introduced us...on my 18th birthday no less). He asked about our friend and I told him my ex is soon to be a grandfather (his live-in girlfriend of over 10 years has a daughter [from a previous relationship] who is currently pregnant). I also told our friend that my ex feels some remorse about our relationship not having blossomed into what he thought it would be.
"I should've come back for you" are the words my ex said last week that are still hanging in my mind.
When I shared my ex's situation with our friend he said, "I've been wanting to talk to Walter and tell him what an idiot he is for letting you go! He let a good woman go!"
I don't know that I am a good woman, but I certainly have the potential to be one...I just took a little detour when I left my ex. All this brings me back to the old Bugs Bunny cartoons I watched as a kid. Bugs would pop out of the ground after a long trip, look around, and realize he wasn't where he wanted to be. He'd break out a map and review his path and say, "I should've taken that left turn at Albuquerque," indicating he'd made a right turn when he should've made a left.
I thought I was doing the right thing at the time by leaving my ex. In the immortal words of my girlfriend in TX, "I went left." I left a good man in search of something better. In the end, I needed all this time to realize who I am. Sometimes, left is right.
Epiphany of the day: Even good women go left in Albuquerque sometimes.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home