Saturday, October 08, 2005

Survivor's Guilt

Our plant has organized a volunteer corps and I joined. We go to people's houses and do some of the work that needs to be done as part of post Katrina/Rita cleanup. This service is supposed to help with what's known as "Survivor's Guilt". I've just come back from one of my co-worker's houses. He had significant roof damage which allowed water into his home. Since he wasn't allowed to go back to his house until recently, mold damage was extensive. So at 7:30 AM, I started ripping out sheetrock/dry wall, ceiling stuff, insulation, carpet, padding, etc...anything that was damaged by mold or water. When we stopped at noon, our crew of 9 had finished all the heavy work by gutting the man's house. We had to work in the living room, two upstairs bedrooms w/ closets, & the upstairs hallway. It was quite a job and I'm exhausted now. I'm supposed to go in to work this afternoon, but I'm so tired I may wait until tonight.

I have to admit, I do feel better having helped out. I don't feel quite so useless any more. Maybe this will be the motivation I need to call someone to come to my house and give me an estimate. Oh yeah, right after I find a new car. There's just too much going on right now. I'm feeling overwhelmed. I think I hear my bed calling me...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home