For The Most Part
I just finished cleaning my house (for the most part). I don't know what came over me when I got home from work this evening, but I just had all this energy and decided to start cleaning up (not that it was that bad to begin with). Maybe it was going to Marcelle's house after dinner at The Taj Mahal (not the one in India, but a great little restaurant that's just reopened here in NO) on Saturday night and having the best conversation with Yi & her husband Leo (they're Chinese), Marcelle (who's of course, from Brazil), and sitting across from Matt (who's from St. Mary's, GA) who picked me up at my house and carted me around like a lady all night with no expectations.
Maybe it was the intelligent dinner conversation that was a perfect representation of the type of conversation I'd imagined for myself when I was 4 or 5 and with my family at the U.N. around the holidays (never mind that I'd just talked to my mother about it earlier on Saturday morning). Maybe it was the fact that I almost scored a goal in my soccer match on Sunday (and by God's grace just barely avoided being hit right in the face again with a soccer ball while moving just in time for us to score another goal...and we won against a team that had to be nearly half our age!).
Maybe it was Matt & Jon standing around in Marcelle's living room, afraid to touch anything Saturday night, after she unlocked the door to her house and saying, "Please excuse my house. It's a mess" and her having spent a week with me after Katrina and her falling asleep on the floor of my living room and saying, "Your house is so clean!" Maybe it was my colleague sitting in my living room last week and saying, "your house is so clean" as I looked around and thought about how long it had been since I really cleaned my house. Or maybe, just maybe, it was my procrastination in not completing my Six Sigma project today when I knew I could, or the call from the head hunter that said she could guarantee I get a minimum 15% increase in base pay if I leave my company.
I don't know what it was that inspired me to clean my house this evening. All I know is, I cleaned it for me...because I'll feel better in the morning, knowing that what I can control and do that needs to be done is done...even if everything else isn't. When I lay my head down tonight, I know that everything I could do, I did it.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home