Tuesday, December 13, 2005

The Queen Doesn't Cook

That's my favorite magnet. It's been hanging on my range over my stove since I can remember living in LA. I accidently broke it this evening while I was putting raw collard greens in my newly purchased pressure cooker. I'm making an attempt at cooking collard greens from scratch for the holiday party tonight. Yes, I'm attempting to learn to cook.

I've never liked cooking. It took me away from doing the other things that I wanted to do (watch television) and cut into a lot of study time. Besides, I was required to clean the kitchen every night since I was 8 when I lived at home with my parents...I wasn't about to have to cook and clean! So I never really learned how to cook.

While Shorty's been away, I pretty much stopped eating dinner in the evening. When he came home in August, I started cooking again, and really learning how to make vegetables and other healthy things. I know that I need to eat lots of vegetables (I'm not 20 any more), and I want to teach him healthy eating habits and I know that the best way to do that is by example. So I've been practicing in preparation for his permanent return, er go collard greens. Maybe the queen does cook, and maybe subconciously I knew it was time for that magnet to go.

1 Comments:

At 1:16 AM, Blogger N'j said...

No one ate my greens. Next time, I won't tell anyone that I've never made them before so they'll try them and hopefully give me honest feedback.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home