Sunday, February 26, 2006

After High School

This morning, I took Shorty & his twin friends to church with me at their father's request. Their mom has been in the Bahamas since Tuesday , taking care of her mother who had a heart attack. Afterward, the boys wanted to hang out at my house, so I decided to kill two birds with one stone...teach them about working for a living by having them wash my car. I just spent the last two hours practicing my management skills.

I directed their work (which was more exhausting for me than just washing the car myself) and taught them how to wash a car, inside and out. When they finished, the twins wanted to go into the neighborhood and wash other people's cars for more money. Shorty just wanted to play. His excuse was, "It's too cold outside to earn money," while his friends were more concerned with making some cash. One of them said, "Dude, I'm broke! My parents' cars are filthy! We just did all that and only earned $5 each! We could earn $10 if we just wash a couple more cars!" Shorty replied with, "But it's too cold! Let's play basketball and wash cars when it's warmer." His friends pressed on saying, "Dude, this is the time of year when peoples' cars are all messed up! Let's go earn some more money!" Long story short, they're out there playing basketball.

It's sad for me to watch my son exhibit the lazy part of his personality. I've known he was lazy since he was 6 months old. He was learning how to turn over from his stomach to his back, and when he would get to his back and was stuck laying on his own arm, he'd cry until someone came to pull his arm out from under him for him. I'm soooo sending him to live with his dad after he finishes high school!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home