Tuesday, May 02, 2006

All By Myself

I got a jolt back into reality today! I'm scheduled to go to ATL next week for an environmental summit. I'd told Marcelle about it before I went to Paris & she said she'd be able to keep Shorty for me. I ran into her in the bathroom this afternoon and let her know I'd be leaving Saturday instead of Sunday, she told me she'd made plans yesterday to go out of town with some Brazilian friends of hers to go to a funeral. She suggested I fly Shorty up with me but send him back Sunday night since she'll be back late. I told her I was lucky to get the $450 ticket I did get. She assured me that there would be a great last minute fare and insisted I go to her office and look with her since she'd recently gotten a $100 to New York. She pulled up her great website & found the same $450 ticket I'd found. She apologized and said she'd just made the plans the day before. She kept talking as I was thinking "Ok. I get it. You don't want to do this. Stop talking so I can start thinking of my other options." I told her I'd ask another co-worker who's son is friends with Shorty.

I called him up and asked him. He said he needed to check with his boss (aka, his wife). I asked the lady who kept him last year while I was in STL. She said no because she's got her 4 year old granddaughter right now. I asked my tech friend from work and she said she had to think about it (which any single mother will tell you is your cue to rescind the request).

I got home, called my mother and told her how I finally understand what she meant when she used to say blood is thicker than water and your friends are not your family.
Just when you think you know someone, you find out you don't. Just when you think you have someone you can rely on, you find out you can't. I asked God for a beautiful & healthy child. I got exactly what I asked for...and I'm in this all by myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home