Thursday, August 11, 2005

Kindred Spirits

I'm becoming emotionally exhausted in telling everyone who asks about the trip to Norway. It's been hard to explain, but if I had to sum it up in one word it would be, INTENSE(Espen said we are soul mates). Yesterday, my tech friend from work said that it sounded to her like the "fundamental differences" between us were just cultural. The whole "Love" vs. "In love" thing, really freaked him out. She said it's probably also a language barrier. I'm starting to think she's right.

I happened to spend some time talking to my Brazilian friend's English teacher today. He told me there are more than a million words in the English language. I told him I thought it interesting that we have only one word for "love" and one word for "snow" and how I'd tried to explain "love" to the Norwegians where they only understand it as "I want to spend the rest of my life with you". I explained to the English teacher that Eskimos have (I think) 42 words for "snow", where we only have one. Maybe the Norwegians have more words for "love".

This evening I spent some time talking to my first love. We talked about my trip, and I shared the soul mate thing with him. He agreed that he believed that people have more than one soul mate, but he felt he was my most important soul mate ;-). I said, "Of course you're my most important soul mate!" The truth is, after reading this website, I think Espen and I are Kindred Spirits. It's a different connection, but remarkable nonetheless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home