Patience & Paper Chasers
I woke up at 5:30 this morning (I've been missing Joyce Meyer since WHNO changed their schedule and I need that little bit of God's Word first thing in the morning). I was laying in bed in agony (my neck, my back) and just couldn't bring myself to get up. I miss my son! I want him home with me and I don't know how I'm going to manage. I've decided to see if I can find another way (i.e. etiquette school, private school, something) to teach him proper grammar & manners. I just don't think I'll make it through another school year without him here, and professionally, it's better for me to stay for a while and learn from the two big dogs I work with now.
Yesterday I went to a meeting with Roy (our plant manager) and while he was taking questions, the electrical engineer (EE) for the area asked about the recent "mass exodus" of EEs from the plant. They've been defecting to another local chemical company in droves in the last several months and the departure rate has increased exponentially since Katrina hit and the other company is paying more money. His answer covered all the things I've heard before about young engineers being completely different from the way they were a generation ago when you picked a company and stuck with it until retirement. He said that now, young engineers are more like paper chasers...they often go where the money is. He reminded all of us that when you're a professional, you don't chase paper, and that you make career decisions because of your career. He was looking dead at me when he said that.
I know that he as well as my boss and many others don't want me to leave. For God's sake, I'm a rarity in this industry...come on, a "black" female chemical engineer who's interested in following the environmental engineering path with soft skills to match and a gift for statistical analysis?! I could write my own paycheck if I chose to leave! The thing that's bothering me right now is, I HATE IT HERE! I moved here over 7 years ago with every intention on leaving after 2-3 years because the schools suck and I want the best for my son. It doesn't make it any better that the pool of eligible bachelors here is about as big as a puddle after the daily afternoon thunderstorms that come between hurricanes, and someday, I would like to marry again.
I'm leaving the future up to God. I trust Him and know that things will work out for the best. He knows my heart, but I can tell you, this patience thing seems to be going a little to far.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home